Saturday, July 9, 2011

Camping Bed Tutorial

Have you ever went shopping for the right camping bed, and none of them were quite what you wanted?  You get one of the foam ones, and they're quite flat.  You get an air bed, and well, it's an air bed. Well, I wanted one that was as comfortable as my favorite pillow, and I didn't have a lot of money to spend, so I made my own, out of pillows. It's quite simple.

First, you have to get the amount of pillows you want.  I used 4, 2 ultra firms in the middle, and 2 firms on the ends.  ( I would suggest 8 if you wanna make a double) Then, you stitch them together on the seams. I did mine by hand with DMC floss for added strength, but if you pushed most of the loft to one side, you could probably do it on a machine as well.


Your seam will look like this. Sew them all on the same side, so that the stitches will be on the bottom part of your bed.


This is what it should look like when you've sewed all the seams.


I wanted to make a cute cover for it (I'm still going to and I'll post pics when I do) but I'm short on time, since I need it for tonight.  So, I took a twin fitted sheet, and put it over it.


Even though it is slightly big for it, the elastic keeps it on there nicely!  Then, just take some wide ribbon,(or make your own out of fabric) and cut a 42" piece (more or less depending on the thickness of the pillows you chose) Fold the ends over 1/2" and hem them so they don't fray. Then sew on a fastener, such as snaps, or velcro.  I chose velcro squares.  Now roll up your pillow bed, wrap the strap, fasten, and you're ready to go!


Not the prettiest thing in the world with the fitted sheet (once again, beautiful covers will be made SOON) but oh so comfy! C-babe gives it 2 hands up!


And, if you kept all the seams to the same side, it becomes a comfy seat as well.  You can use it just about anywhere. Happy camping!


-Kelly







3 comments:

Search This Blog